Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Rental Bonds and Condition Reports

Rental bonds

Property owners and agents can charge bonds for residential rental properties. The bond protects them from any financial loss they might incur if a tenant breaches the rental agreement. It is illegal:

  • to collect more than one bond for one premise;
  • to charge more than the equivalent of four weeks rent for bond;
  • for the owner to receive a bond.

All bonds must be paid to the Rental Deposit Authority (RDA). If the property is managed by a registered agent then the agent may collect the bond directly from the tenant. The bond must be deposited with the RDA within 3 days of collecting the bond.

Lodging a rental bond

What do I need to do?

  • The tenant/s and property owner/agent need to sign and complete a Bond Lodgement form (pdf, 219.5 KB) [This form is for printing and hardcopy only. It cannot be completed online.];
  • Forms are also available from any Service Tasmania shop; or
  • Ring Advisory Services on 1300 65 44 99 to get a form posted to you.

Tenants: The contact information you provide on the lodgement form will be used to contact you when the bond is claimed at the end of the tenancy. We recommend you provide a mobile phone number and/or an email address on the bond lodgement form so you can be contacted when you have moved.

Information to help you complete the form is available.

PDF documents require a PDF reader. Please read more on free PDF readers. Alternatively contact us if you have difficulty viewing or printing the document or require the document in an alternative format.

If there is more than one person paying the bond

  • Each tenant must fill in the relevant section of the Bond Lodgement form providing their name and the amount they have contributed to the bond.
  • Only the people named on the Bond Lodgement form can claim back their bond when the tenancy agreement ends.
  • Anyone can contribute to the bond, even if a contributor does not live at the property (for example a relative or support agency).  This person needs to complete the Individual Deposit Contributor section on page 2 of the Bond Lodgement form, in order to be able to claim their contribution at the end of the tenancy.

Bond assistance

  • As part of the Private Rental Support Scheme (PRSS), tenants may apply for bond assistance through Housing Connect.
  • If assistance is provided, the funds are transferred directly to the Rental Deposit Authority (RDA) where it is held until the bond is claimed.
  • To register the bond tenants and property owners (or their agent) are required to complete a Bond Lodgement form which must include PRSS details (provided by Housing Connect) and pay the agreed tenant contribution.
  • If the PRSS has paid the full bond, the tenant contribution is recorded as $0.  The form still needs to be completed and lodged to register the bond.
  • Tenants must make sure they submit a Bond Lodgement form with all the relevant details, regardless of whether they make a contribution to the bond.
  • If there is a claim against the bond by the owner, and Housing Connect will not receive all or part of the money they have contributed, it is recommended the tenant contact Housing Connect to discuss the situation.  Housing Connect is not required to sign a claim form at the end of the tenancy if they are to receive the full bond contribution back (ie, the owner is not making a claim on their portion of the bond).

Lodging a form and bond money

A Bond Lodgement form can be submitted the following ways:

  • With a real estate agent
    • The Bond Lodgement form and bond can be lodged directly with the real estate agent.
  • With Service Tasmania
    • The Bond Lodgement form and bond can be lodged at any Service Tasmania shop.
    • Service Tasmania will issue a receipt however it will not include any contributions made by Housing Connect.  The Rental Deposit Authority will send another receipt that includes their contribution.
  • By Post
    • Tenants may choose to lodge the form and pay the bond directly to the Rental Deposit Authority by post.
    • Recent changes to Australia Post's delivery times may affect how long it takes your documentation to reach us. For more information visit the Australia Post website.
    • The RDA will accept bank cheques or money orders. Personal cheques and cash will not be accepted. Cheques or money orders should be made payable to the 'Rental Deposit Authority'.
    • The RDA will post a receipt to the tenant/s.

It is illegal for a private property owner to receive a bond.

Bond lodgement receipts

  • It is very important that tenants and property owners keep a copy of the Bond Lodgement receipt.
  • The receipt contains a Bond Number which is unique to the bond money that has been lodged. This number is needed when claiming the bond when the tenancy agreement ends. Information on claiming a bond is available.

Condition reports

  • If a bond is paid, a property owner/agent must:
    • Prepare and sign a condition report on the property
    • Give two copies of the condition report to the tenant before the beginning of the tenancy.
  • When the tenant is provided the condition report, the tenant must:
    • Add details of any damage or items they may find that are not included in the condition report;
    • Sign one copy and return it to the owner within two (2) days of receiving the documents.
  • Condition reports:
    • Photographs can be used to show the property's original condition or items that were in the property at the beginning of the tenancy.
    • It is very important that both the tenant and property owner/agent keep a copy of the condition report. It can be used as evidence if there is a dispute about cleaning, damage or replacement of missing items during and at the end of a tenancy.
    • If the tenant is responsible for any damage (apart from general wear and tear), the property owner/agent may use the condition report to claim part of, or the entire bond to cover costs to repair the damage.