Joining or leaving an existing lease
Change of tenant/s (share houses)
- If more than one tenant is listed on a Bond Lodgement form, and a tenant changes during the lease, the outgoing tenant's bond contribution must be transferred to the new tenant.
- The property owner/agent must agree with the arrangement before it can go ahead.
- The property owner/agent, and the tenant moving in, and the tenant moving out must complete a Tenant Transfer form (pdf, 158.9 KB).
- The form is:
posted to the Rental Deposit Authority, PO Box 56, Rosny Park TAS 7018. Recent changes to Australia Post's delivery times may affect how long it takes your documentation to reach us. For more information visit the Australia Post website
The outgoing tenant's portion is then transferred to the incoming tenant's name. No money will be released by the Rental Deposit Authority (RDA) until the end of the tenancy agreement.
It is up to the tenants moving in and out to exchange the bond money.
The bond must be claimed and new tenants must lodge a new bond when all tenants are moving out of a property and are being replaced by all new tenant(s). This is regardless of whether the new tenants are 'taking over' the previous tenant's lease agreement. The Tenant Transfer process is only used where one tenant remains in the property.
Change of property owner
- The property owner who is leaving must complete a Property Owner/Agent Transfer form (pdf, 159.4 KB).
- The new property owner must provide full contact details.
- It is important the new property owner's signature is on the form so that the bond can be processed when the lease agreement ends.
The form is:
Change of property agent
- The property agent who is no longer managing the property must complete the relevant section of a Property Owner/Agent Transfer form (pdf, 159.4 KB).
- If the property agent is a registered agent with the RDA they should provide their Agent ID number.
- The new agent must complete the relevant section on the same form and provide their Agent ID number (if applicable).
- If the new agent is not registered with the RDA they must provide full contact details.
The form is:
posted to the Rental Deposit Authority,
PO Box 56, Rosny Park TAS 7018. Recent changes to Australia Post's delivery times may affect how long it takes your documentation to reach us. For more information visit the Australia Post website
- A Property Owner/Agent Transfer form needs to be completed for each property if this change involves multiple properties.
PDF documents require a PDF reader. Please read more on free PDF readers. Alternatively, contact us if you have difficulty viewing or printing the document or require the document in an alternative format.