Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Claiming the bond

Anyone who has contributed to a bond, and whose signature is shown on the Bond Lodgement Form, is entitled to claim back their portion of the bond at the end of a tenancy.

In this section


  • You must supply the tenant/s with a signed Claim Form within 3 days of the end of the lease agreement.
  • If you are claiming any part of the bond, you must:
    • enter the amount of the claim on the form before the tenant/s signs the form; and
    • provide the tenant/s with a notice stating the reasons for the claim.
  • If you are not making a claim, you must:
    • complete and sign the Claim Form. The amount on the claim should be shown as $0. Please do not leave the amount field blank.
  • If a tenant cannot be contacted, you may submit a claim form with only your signature, after you have taken all reasonable steps to provide a copy of the claim form to the tenant.


  • The property owner must supply you with a signed claim form within 3 days of the end of the tenancy agreement.
  • If the property owner does not supply a signed claim form or cannot be contacted, you can submit your own claim form.
  • If a claim form is received and all parties have signed indicating they agree how the bond should be paid out, it will be processed and paid out as shown on the form.
  • A dispute cannot be lodged once the Rental Deposit Authority (RDA) has paid out the bond.

How to lodge a bond claim form

  • Tenants and property owners must complete a Bond Claim form (pdf, 179.1 KB)
  • Lodge the form at any Service Tasmania shop; or
  • Post/fax to:
    • Rental Deposit Authority
      PO Box 56, Rosny Park TAS 7018
      Fax: 1300 737 487
    • Recent changes to Australia Post's delivery times may affect how long it takes your documentation to reach us. For more information visit the Australia Post website.

What happens next?

  • Everyone who contributed to the bond will be notified when the RDA receives a claim. It is important that you provide your current contact details, so you receive the notification.
  • If all the parties agree and have signed the form, the RDA will pay out the claim as soon as possible. The funds will be paid out to the nominated bank account.
  • If one or all of the parties disagree to the claim when the lease agreement ends OR if the tenants have not signed the claim form, the RDA will automatically start the dispute process. Information about Bond Dispute is available.
  • See a Flowchart of the Claim and Disputes Processes (pdf, 147.6 KB).

What happens if the bond has not been lodged with the Rental Deposit Authority?

  • If you want to make a claim against the bond and you think your bond has not been lodged with the RDA, contact Advisory Services on 1300 654 499 for advice.

PDF documents require a PDF reader. Please read more on free PDF readers. Alternatively contact us if you have difficulty viewing or printing the document or require the document in an alternative format.