Who Needs to Apply?
- Any person petitioning the public for money for a charitable purpose must apply for permission.
- A charitable purpose includes:
- any benevolent, philanthropic or patriotic purpose;
- any purpose for the protection of the environment or the welfare of animals;
- the supply of help, aid, relief, support, care, housing or education to any person or animal in distress.
- You must apply for approval if:
- You are an organisation which is incorporated in a State or Territory other than Tasmania.
- You are a corporation whose principle office is located in a State or Territory other than Tasmania.
- You are a non-incorporated group or association.
- You are an individual wishing to collect for a charitable purpose yourself, not on behalf of a charitable organisation.
- You do not need to apply for approval if:
- You are an organisation which is only incorporated in Tasmania.
- You are a corporation whose principle office is located in Tasmania.
Types of Collections
- Door Knocking
- Soliciting is permitted between 9am and sunset. Sunset is:
- 8pm between 1 November and 31 January.
- 7pm between 1 February and 30 April.
- 5pm between 1 May and 31 August.
- 7pm between 1 September and 31 October.
- Fundraisers must wear an identity card displaying their name, organisations name, and location of the principle office.
- The purpose of the donation must be stated.
- Children under 16 years of age can solicit for donations only if they are under the immediate supervision of an adult.
- Raffles are maintained by the Tasmanian Gaming Commission. The Commission can be contacted by:
- Post: Tasmanian Gaming Commission, GPO Box 1374, Hobart TAS 7001
- Phone: (03) 6233 6119
- Web: www.treasury.tas.gov.au
- Telephone marketing is allowed between 9am and 8pm on any day.
- The caller must state their name, the name of the organisation they represent and the State or Territory in which the principle office is located.
- Street Collections
- Additional to applying for approval through Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading, those wishing to request donations on a public street or place must seek approval through the Tasmania Police. An application form can be requested by post through Tasmania Police, State Community Policing Services:
- Anyone soliciting in a public place must wear an identity card displaying their name and the name of the organisation they represent and the State or Territory in which the organisations principle office is located.
- Children under the age of 16 may solicit donations if they are under the direct supervision of an adult.
- Soliciting Through Writing, Electronic Media or Advertisement
- Any written request, however communicated, must include a statement of the purpose for which the donation is sought, the name of the organisation, the address of the principle office of the organisation and a contact telephone number for the organisation.
List of approved charities in Tasmania [pdf/396kb/16 pages]
PDF documents require a PDF reader. Please read more on free PDF readers. Alternatively contact us if you have difficulty viewing or printing the document or require the document in an alternative format.